Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sweet Corn

This Sunday past, I was roped into a group ride.

The Sweet Corn Challenge is a popular local ride centered in Richfield, OH that offers 25, 50, and 100 mile options. The course descends and climbs out of the Cuyahoga Valley along with several other 200-300 foot climbs in the area. We were in familiar territory--the course looped one of our group's favorite hill running loop at the Hinckley Reservation.

We were treated to a pleasant yet overcast and humid 80F morning. The lack of rain made for an easy ride.

I ride a lot, mostly for commuting, but never more than 10-15 miles at a time. My running buddies convinced me to join in for the 50 mile. I was somewhat stunned that 3 of my buds would ride on mountain bikes. Two of us had road bikes.

After riding together for a couple miles, the two of us took off. I never knew how much fun cycling is. Consider me hooked. The course provided aid stations every 10-12 miles. We were in no hurry--I rode and chatted along the way with M--and we took all three additional "killer hill" options resulting in 58 total miles for our Sweet Corn challenge.

At the end we were treated to sweet corn and a meal. Afterwards, I headed out for a few more miles to accompany our last running buddy to the finish.

I never knew how enjoyable a long bike ride could be!

2 Comments:

Blogger Adelyn said...

That sounds great! Awesome job on the 58 miles. That's a signficiant achievement! I've been tempted lately to get a bike. Bike commuting has a certain level of appeal :) The last time I rode a bike, though, was the first time in 3 years, and I was definitely shakey, so riding it on a street with cars sounds a little crazy still.

Glad you found a new sport that you like though! Are we going to have to call you rootsrider now? :D

12:11 PM  
Blogger B Bop said...

I likes some trail runs...but I REALLY likes me some long spins on the trusty bicycle. A ultra runner....like yourself....might be interested in something like this.....
www.raceacrossamerica.org

cheers,
B

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home