Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And with that, everyone's jaw dropped...

I work for a fairly big company--we have about 400 employees here in our downtown office. In turn, I don't make a big deal of my races to my co-workers. Sure, they know that I run marathons and such. The last time I did make a fuss and told everyone was for the JFK 50 Mile a couple years ago. When non-runners hear about the tale, its mind-boggling to most of them. I'm embarrassed by the strange looks and wild reactions I get, so I just stopped telling everyone at work. They know I run races, but most times I just say I'm going to run a "marathon."

Earlier this week, I got word that an article in our city's weekly newspaper was going to run in today's edition.

So yesterday, at the end of a department meeting with about 15 people, I decide to tell everyone about Mohican. I asked a question, "Anyone subscribe to the Lakewood Sun Post?"

No replies.

I tried to leave it be, but the cat was halfway out of the bag and I had to follow-up. "There's an article coming out this week. I just wanted to tell everyone here. I ran in a 100 Mile race last month and the paper is running a story."

And with that, everyone's jaw dropped.

What I had thought would be a simple 2-minute announcement turned into 25 minutes of Q&A with my co-workers! As they grilled and chided me, the general response was shock.

The article came out in today's edition. Must not be very much news in my city--the article and picture was front page! The reporter interviewed me a week after the race and I had wondered how it would turn out. She did pretty well to capture the essence.

Article link here.

The outlandish headline is supposed to read: "To him, a marathon is a sprint," with the byline, "Lakewood runner gets ninth place at 100-mile event." The picture did not make it to the web article, but they ran this photo of me approaching Hickory Ridge aid station.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

That was a good article, and good pic!!!
It's so funny, when we're hanging with the other ultra runners, where a 100 really isn't that big a deal, and that seems "normal"...and then you get the reaction from the other world. Who really just have trouble wrapping their head around the concept.
They'll be calling you "freak" soon Lloyd!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Adelyn said...

Congrats on your newfound fame :D

Great article though (I like the term 'refeuling station' for 'aid station' makes it sound much more official!)

And, Kim, I still think 100 is a big deal, for what it's worth :)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

That is so awesome!!!!

What a cool article. Very well-deserved! I think I need your autograph. :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger sneakersister said...

Nice article! I hear ya on not wanting to discuss your running with your co-workers. When I did archaeology it was the very last thing I wanted to talk about with non-archaeologists. Congrats on the race!!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home