Saturday, April 12, 2008

Week of April 6-12

Sun: 16 miles easy on trails at the April Fool's FA. (results)
Mon: 5 easy (7:54) Cooled down with 4x strides.
Tue: 11 miles, with 3mi @ I-pace. (4x 1200m intervals (5:45); with 400m recovery jog.)
Wed: 3 easy
Thur: 7.5 miles easy (8:09)
Fri: rest
Sat: 9.5 total, with 5k race (18:30, 17 second PR)

1200m splits: 4:20/4:21/4:19/4:16

52 miles on 6 runs.

One week to go to Boston. Mileage might seem high for a taper week, but I'm not fretting. The trail miles at the FA run were all easy, enjoying the trail and taking a few photos along the way.

The highlights of the week were the two sharpening workouts at interval pace. I've had success with racing a 5k on the weekend prior to a marathon. To prepare, Tuesday's workout was a planned 6x 800m that turned out better than I could have expected. A local speedster who was doing 1600s, so I joined in and turned my session to 4x 1200m. Running the first 3 laps with Tara, I surprised myself when I turned in average 5:45 pace for the workout.

Since my best 5k to date is 6:06/mile pace, my confidence was high heading into today's Run for your life 5k in Berea at the fairgrounds. Sub-6:00 was the first goal, but I thought 5:55 pace was possible. The other fast woman in our track group, Dee, was in the race. I arrived later than I wanted, but I got an adequate warm-up and a few strides in before the gun.

A short 5k race report:

38F, overcast and breezy at 9am start. Actually rained and hailed a bit in the minute before gun, but overall not entirely bad race conditions. Wore shorts and singlet.

I went out too fast!

I had confidence coming into this race, but bit off a lot more than I can chew. Mile 1 (5:36), which was 20 seconds faster than my goal pace for the day.

I was within the top 15 and tucked in a pack. Dee was nearby through miles 1 and 2. Though I never looked back, I knew she was there. Only 4 minutes into the second mile I was already in oxygen debt and feeling the hurt. Now in the top 10, I snuck briefly into 6th place for a bit. Dee finally passes me at the mile 2 marker (5:58/11:33). We both figured the first mile was short, but the second mile evened it out.

By now I was begging for the end and did the quick math that I could still break sub-6:00 pace with a 6:25 mile. I pushed on. I was nearly cooked, but did all I could to relax and still push. This course was nice because it was a loop with no out-and-back or 180 degree turns. I survived Mile 3 (6:16), turned the final corner and on to the last straight. The clock ahead turned 18:00 and I watched Dee finish, winning her race in 18:12 and a slight PR for her. She separated from me by 18 seconds in the final 1.1 miles.

I cross the line barely breaking the sub 6:00/pace. I imagine if I were 10 seconds slower in mile one that I could possibly been faster, but I'll take it.

Splits: 5:36 (short), 5:58 (long), 6:16, 0:40
Final time: 18:30 (PR, previously 18:47)
Place: 9/230

This marathon season was weird in that my only two tune-up races were 5k road races. The VDOT improved, as expected, as I ran 19:19 on February 16th. Last October, I ran 18:50-something one week before a good Grand Rapids marathon. This year, I'm 20 seconds faster in the 5k. Who knows what could happen in Boston.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mindi said...

Nice race!

Good luck in Boston! Hopefully there will be perfect weather!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

Nice work on the PR. I got rained and hailed on during my run as well, but I was out for an easy 16.

Boston should be good. I'll keep an eye out for you.

8:36 AM  
Blogger andersimp said...

Good run man. If you want to break 18 you'll probably have to do more quarters. You are a slow twitch guy right now! Good to run with you Thursday. Take care, Andrew

8:46 AM  
Blogger Staci said...

So impressive. I have to learn how to let myself feel discomfort in those shorter races. Very nice showing...Speedy Gonzalez...

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home