Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Georgia

Back from the weekend boondoggle and short of time for a full report.

I ran the hilly and challenging ING Georgia marathon on Sunday in nice cool temperatures. This course is just what I needed as I've missed my last two long runs due to our snowy winter. I can't complain with the day and accomplished the training goal of a final long run before Boston. While the cool mid-40s temps was kind to the runners, I imagine that this day was very chilly for the locals. It took a while for me to get comfortable in the first half, but my legs naturally stretched out to a swifter marathon-type pace in the second half between miles 15-22. Finished with nearly a 7 minute negative split:

1:45:35
1:38:41
3:24:16 (136/2131 marathon finishers)

Click the photo below for a few more pics from the course. Fun sights: The "Born to Run" guitar player at mile 6, the screaming girls of the all-women's college at mile 11 did a great job re-creating the vibe of Wellesley, a Dave's Cosmic Sub's at mile 16, and the Djembe drum troupe near mile 19 were some of the many fun entertainment groups along the route.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

AWESOME negative split! Nicely done! :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger Rahn said...

That's an awesome time, especially with stopping for pictures. (or at least slowing down for them.)

Yes, the weather was harsh on us locals. That wind made for some serious misery in the middle where there was nothing blocking it.

The born to run guy made me laugh...
The Mardi Gras brass band about a mile before him left me chuckling a bit too.

also likes the girls at Agnes Scott, and drum circle.
(And a couple others weren't bad.)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice negative Lloyd! You ran a real smart "training type run". Great pics as well. See ya Saturday! -cr

1:19 PM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

It's too bad that you missed the belly dancer - I can't imagine that she was too warm!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home