Thursday, March 13, 2008

Time trialing

An informal poll for my running & training friends out there:

I missed a 15k tune-up race last weekend due the blizzard. I'm rearranging the plan this weekend to include a time trial.

My question is this: For those who've done time trials as a fitness test, what is your preferred surface and distance?

Surface: Track or road course
Distance: 5k, 4M, 5M, or 10k

I have one training partner recruited and possibly one other. It's going to be an early run on Saturday morning. The farthest I've raced on the track is 2M.

My first inclination is to run 5k or 4M on the track. Not sure I can handle longer. I have a good 1.5M road course, with the 400s marked, so that would be the option if run on roads.

The purpose of the trial is a fitness test to set the intensity levels for the next phase of training. What would you do?

3 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

I'd probably do 4-5 on a road course. I don't think a track is a good "tune up race course"

8:21 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I don't know what Malachi is like but that might be a good replacement!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mindi said...

I always think 10Ks make you honest. We are all different in what are natural ability leans toward, but I think 10K is the better fitness predictor.

Good luck!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home