Friday, April 18, 2008

Patriot's Day is Monday

No, not the 18-1 Patriots.



I mention Patriot's Day because it's a state holiday in Massachusetts and Maine to commemorate the Revolutionary War. Patriot's Day is also the day of the Boston Marathon. This year marks the 112th year of the oldest and arguably the most famous marathon in the world.

This is my second attempt at Boston and I hardly feel ready. The winter storms of February and March left me less than satisfied with this training season. A blizzard struck on the weekend of my main tune-up race, leaving me merely with two 5k races as my fitness indicator. Not exactly reliable for a marathon race. Without a clear indicator, I am not quite sure of my capability but plan to give it a good race.

This year's Boston Marathon is special in that America's best women marathoners will compete for a spot on the U.S. Olympic Team on Sunday the day prior to Patriot's Day. I imagine watching the trials will provide an inspirational boost come Monday morning for us in the citizen's race.

I'll be there, bib number 3375. Click the B.A.A. website for race day tracking. Enter in my bib number to check out how I'm doing. Race starts at 10AM on Monday, April 21.

The last time I was in Boston, I spent the weekend with my brother who lives in Tokyo. I enjoyed it so much that I left knowing that I wanted to experience the Boston Marathon all over again. The opportunity is now and I will cherish this trip.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Lloyd - Good luck and have fun.. I'll be watching on Monday.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Mindi said...

GOOD luck and be sure to take it all in!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Tim Looney said...

Lloyd - I'll be tracking you throughout the race. You are looking great through the half!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mindi said...

The snowy winter didn't seem to hold you back! Congrats on a very impressive 3:06!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

Great job, Lloyd!

I hadn't quite made it to heartbreak hill when you passed by me, and you didn't look up when I yelled. So sorry about that!

We got stuck in red sox traffic on the T and barely got off in time to see the elite women come by!

It was a beautiful day for a run. I'm looking forward to hearing about the experience from the racing perspective. As much fun as watching it was, I really wanted to be out there running while I watched everyone go by.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Phill Janzen said...

Tonya and I were just wondering what Patriot's Day was all about. Thanks for the info. Great meeting you !

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home