Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Distance running coach

Over the past few years, I've had fun helping my local friends train for marathons and ultramarathons. We've learned the ins and outs of a good marathon season from local coaches as well as the from the schedules of popular author-coaches such as Daniels, Durden, Higdon, and Pfitzinger. I've enjoyed the discoveries of training alongside my friends, putting myself through the same training schedules that I created for the group, and executing a smart race strategy. Somewhere along the way it was suggested to me to get a coaching certification. So I did.

I recently completed the requirements to be listed as a certified distance running coach by the Road Runners Club of America.

To find a RRCA-certified running coach in your area, click this link. Coaches are listed by state.

RRCA running coaches are tasked to follow a Coaching Code of Ethics.

Are any readers of this blog working as a running coach? If so, I'm interested as to what capacity and audience.

Is anyone interested in a running coach? This is your chance to hire me for cheap. ;)

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

That's pretty cool Lloyd. You are one of three in the state.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

I am an RRCA certified coach. In fact, I got certified at the same time as you!

Right now I don't have any clients, but I'll be stepping in and doing some work through the Maine Running Company over the next week or two. Once I figure out what my local commitment is going to be and how many additional runners I can take on, I will be offering online coaching.

Once the Summer gets underway, it will be time to start looking into the USATF course availability.

Good luck with your new certification and any new opportunities that come your way. And for any readers here, the RRCA has recently released their coaching schedule through the Summer and Autumn if you are interested in taking the course.

8:58 AM  
Blogger tonya said...

Are you serious? Would you want to consider coaching me? And I AM serious.

11:50 AM  
Blogger henrypretz said...

Hi Lloyd - it's hup/Henry. Congratulations on your certification. I know that you will do well (as you have before, only now with RRCA's seal of approval)
I am now 4 weeks post knee arthroscopy (meniscus tear plus thermal shrinkage of the ACL). My surgeon wants me to abstain from running for at least another 4-6 weeks. Once I get back (depending on how well this procedure went ... big "IF") I'd like to talk to you about working together on my comeback to racing and next marathon. That's all a ways off ... but a guy can dream, can't he? Take care, Lloyd.
Henry

11:51 AM  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Congratulations!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Tim Looney said...

Congrats Lloyd!! I should look into getting certified as well.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Congrats and good luck.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Staci said...

Whooo hoo! Congratulations!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Mindi said...

I would hire you too. I know more than the local coaches do around here thanks to Pfitzinger, coolrunning and other online forums.

A good niche indeed. Good luck. And I will contact you later for my fall goals. In the meantime, rest up. I hope to see you in Madison and run the 3:50 pace group with you if I can add a tiny bit more mileage this spring. Otherwise we'll have to settle for post-race brews.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home