Sunday, February 04, 2007

Week of January 28 - February 3

Sun: Run 10 miles (89 minutes)
Mon: Swim 2000yds (44 min)
Tue: Run 9.5 (91); with 6x 90sec hill repeats
Wed: Run 5 (42)
Thur: Run 8.25 (72); cooled-down with 4x strides
Fri: Rest
Sat: Run 15 (119)

Totals:
Run: 47 miles, 5 runs (6 hrs 54 min)
Swim: 1.1 miles, 1 swim (44 min)

From start to finish, a frigid week. Never above 20F. Here are the temperatures I ran in: 15F, 15F, 18F, 20F, and 6F. Tuesday's run was in a blizzard and a foot of fresh powder snow. My four wickedly motivated Soler friends, all heading to the Boston Marathon, are on the fourth week of the Benji Durden Marathon Plan. Tuesdays call for hill repeats, and despite the blowing snow, they were not denied. Back in December I intended to train along with these Solers with hope for a marathon PR at the Glass City Marathon. The injury set me back a few weeks. With less than optimal preparation time remaining for an April marathon, I've abandoned Glass City and I'm now concentrating on the June Mohican goal.

I know. A big jump in milage from the 32 of last week. Only had 10 planned for Saturday, but after bowing out of the Dirty Dog 10K I ended up with the faster group for a little longer run in the Metropark. Revved up and ready to race on this day, I dropped in a couple tempo pace miles at the end. It felt wonderful to open up the pace, even if the two pairs of pants weighed me down. Miles 13 and 14 in 7:01 and 6:50. While I didn't feel the need to race in 5F temps, I heard from those who did that I missed a fun time.

The good news is that I completed another pain-free, 5-run week and now I can allow myself to look forward.

Bull Run Run is now only 10 weeks away and falls on the same weekend as Boston. As long as I'm healthy, I'll continue to train along with the Durden followers and and see what kind of result that brings. The intent is to use the 50 miles of Bull Run to get ready for Mohican.

I'm amazed how quickly January has come and gone. Now that I have a couple weeks of decent progress, I imagine that I will soon trot out a few 2007 goals.

3 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great week! Man, how do you run so fast with 2 pairs of pants on?! Impressive.

Very excited for the Burning River 100! Count me in to help at the aid station you mentioned on the SS forum. What an awesome event to come to C-Town!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Great blog. Found you off CRN.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Glad to hear you are running pain free. This cold weather makes us runners do weird things.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home