Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Time off

For the first time in four years, I'm taking time off from running. After ending 2006 with a few days off, I thought the leg bursitis had subsided and that a few days of rest would do the trick.

Not so.

After three short runs to start the year, the leg pain became irritated again. In the middle of my last run on January 4th, all it took was a gentle downhill grade to irritate the leg. Something was, and is not right.

So I've stopped.

This place is foreign to me. I had to go back to my log to see when the last time I've took substantial time off. Aside from the post-JFK ankle sprain, I've not taken more than two consecutive days off in four whole years. I've been lucky, I suppose.

So here I am, grounded. Its been hard to put words on this page. I'm in the midst of my very first sidelining injury. Having run only 3 times in the last 15 days--when normal to me is 5-7 runs per week--I feel like I'm moving past the denial stage and accepting that my body needs this time off.

I miss my daily run.

The frustrating aspect to this bursitis is the fleeting pain. It comes and goes with no logical reason. Most times, my leg feels normal. I've even run down the street to catch the bus with no pain. At other moments and from out of nowhere, the soreness crops up. Although I could try, I know that I cannot sustain a run of any distance.

As of now, I have no idea when I can start again. Reluctantly, I must put my running plans on hold. The next step is a visit to the physical therapist's office later this week.

I can't think of a tidy way to conclude this post. This time off from running has created turmoil within. So...without delving too deep into the psyche of this distance runner, I'm coping with my abstinence and I pledge to come back and write more about this foreign experience.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tim Looney said...

Sorry to hear about your running being put on hold but I think you made the right choice. Can you crosstrain for now?

4:53 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Oh, no!

No fun. Heal up...at least you know the trails aren't going anywhere, I guess, eh?

5:21 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Sorry to hear. I know how you feel. I guess we have to hit the pool instead. When do you think you'll be able to run again? Maybe we'll do a celebratory one mile return to running jog.

7:11 PM  
Blogger andreasana said...

Hi, it's SGH from the Cool Running vortex. Thought I'd say hi to you here. Sounds like you'll be back on "home turf" (literally) before too long. Don't forget to stretch!

3:23 PM  
Blogger John Lynch said...

Hey Lloyd, I just found your blog & this is the first entry I read. I'm sorry to hear about your injury... I'm sure it's frustrating to be shackled by this pain - even though it's temporary. Maybe you can "tame the beast" through something as rigorous & demanding as running but that will still allow you to heal? I know sometimes it's the actual motion in addition to the discipline clears a person's head. Could you bike?

I pray life & peace for ya, brother. Even amidst the limiting mortality of this life.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Hi Tim. Yes, I've been crosstraining with swimming and weightlifting. Stuff I haven't done much of lately. And I'm digging it. I'm going to lean on the ears of my trifolk friends Sara and Al to learn a flip-turn.

And Andrea, nice to hear from ya. I wish I could take one of your classes. I could stand to learn more about the exercise ball and stretching!

The PT recommended some stretches, as well as to try a short run. Going to try 30 minutes on Sunday!

4:03 PM  
Blogger H said...

You deserve some hugs. I'm about a step away from a total breakdown just from my cutdown on running-- time completely off is that much worse. At least there's some cross-training you can do... keep you more grounded.

And some more hugs from me to you!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

That's tough. I have been there and it drove me bonkers to know I was losing all my endurance. Rest up and cross train, and put your energy into the other activities.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home