Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Smoke FREE Ohio

Congratulations Ohio. Its not official yet, but it appears you saw right through the smokescreen and voted for a Smoke Free Ohio.

What does that mean?

It means that bar and restaurant workers, along with any other persons subjected to secondhand smoke in the workplace will now have the right to clean air in their place of work. This study by the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that bar workers' health displayed "significant improvements in respiratory symptoms and lung function within 2 months following a ban on smoking in confined public places." It means that the health of Ohio workers is due to improve very soon.

For me, it means dining, drinking and going to more shows without coming home smelling like a chimney and having wheezing smoke hangover the next day.

Two closing thoughts:

1. I believe all citizens, smokers included, will appreciate the new law once it takes effect. The new law is not a complete smoking ban. If smokers want to smoke, all they have to do is step outside the door.

2. Not that it matters any longer, but I wonder if the Issue 4 people and the Big Tobacco lobby caused a reverse effect on the poll. I wonder the outcome if the ballot only had the one Issue. I believe the fight for a Smoke Free Ohio may have been closer had there only been one issue on the ballot.

2 Comments:

Blogger Papa Louie said...

Yep, we did it!

2:08 PM  
Blogger The Blights said...

I'm with you! I was actually worried people might confuse the issues. Absolutely blows my mind, with all the studies, that we haven't done this years ago!

It's a filthy, discusting habit that I'm glad I quit! Hope this persuades more pople.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home