Friday, October 20, 2006

Friday fun

If you're in Cleveland today:

- Carlos Jones and the PLUS Band at the Barking Spider Tavern on the campus of CWRU. Sets from 9:30p-1:00a.

- Dean Karnazes visits Cleveland today for stop #34 of the Endurance 50. Run starts and finishes at the Galleria downtown at 8:00a and finishes sometime during the noon hour. My office is nearby and I might just check out the finish. The Endurance 50 is a fund raiser for Karno Kids and underwritten by the North Face.

~~

At the Cleveland West Road Runners trail run last night, I ran with folks I haven't seen in ages. For me, the Rocky River Metroparks' Nature Center are the best closest trails to downtown. Running here, its hard to believe that I'm only minutes away from the city.

After the run one woman asked me, "What's next?" I responded that I'm running JFK 50 Mile in November. She continued, "Are you going to become the next ultramarathonman, Dean Karnazes?"

I had to laugh. While DK is making ultrarunning more visible to the mainstream public, there are quite a few Cleveland-area ultrarunners that I would rather aspire to be like. Two notable, and long-time CWWRC members come to mind: Arthur Moore and Leo Lightner.

My coy reply was, "No, I wanna be like Arthur and Leo."

I cannot confirm this stat yet, but between the two of them, Arthur and Leo have close to one-thousand marathon or longer races completed. When I last asked about 2 years ago, Art had 579 official marathons or ultras, including 18 of the first 20 years at the Laurel Highlands Ultra.

Hopefully, I will see Art or Leo tomorrow in Erie.

6 Comments:

Blogger JenC said...

Did you get to see Dean? I forgot to look outside. D'oh! The Cleveland marathon route goes right by my building. I met a friend for lunch rather than attending the festivities. It was too cold to stand outside for long. (not too cold to run though)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

Yeah, I saw DK. Vince from the Vertical Runner set up a booth and we hung out for a bit during the noon hour. Someone said there were 53 runners today. DK finished in 4:14. At the post-run meet and greet, there was a long line waiting to meet Dean. Gracious dude, good vibes at the Galleria.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow, I have so much admiration for you ultrarunners. And I'm also so jealous. I wish I could just go out and run for hours without my knee screaming at me!

Good luck at JFK!

Jodi

7:24 PM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Art and Leo and definitely Cleveland running legends! I've been running over 20 years and remember them way back when.

7:43 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Sorry I can't be there with you guys.

Stay tuned...

10:07 PM  
Blogger Louis said...

The New York Times had an article about Dean and ultra-running. It was nice how they pointed out that he is not the pinnacle of ultra-marathoning!

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home