Friday, October 27, 2006

Character...

Click here for Dave's (Nirvana91) Chicago Marathon race report

My favorite definition of character is "what one will do, even when no one is watching." I just read this Chicago Marathon race report by Dave that brought tears to my eyes. I imagine everyone has battles to overcome in life, but Dave's story is truly amazing. Life has thrown him several curveballs and he seems to keep knocking them out of the ballpark.

I couldn't help but reflect to my own life after reading about his incredible journey to the starting line in Chicago. Nevermind that this man ran extremely well in his debut marathon--my first thoughts point to Dave's strength of character and how he's coped and lived in honor of his late mother.

My mom passed when I was a teenager and I often lean on her when the going gets tough--during life as well as during runs and races. I credit Dave, at such a young age, for having an incredible self-motivation and the wisdom of a man many years his senior.

To me, this is a part of what marathoning its all about. For me, its become a lifestyle of setting goals and acheiving them. When I read a story like this, I can't help to reflect upon the curveballs that life has thrown me. With examples like Dave, it helps to know that no matter how tough life gets that there is always a way to keep on working and striving towards a positive future.

Thanks Dave, for showing me your admirable character and how to be a good son.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

What an emotional journey. This is what I love most about endurance sports--we all have some kind of story to share, and everyone's story is inspiring in its own way.

Thank you.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home