Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend update

I spent more time spectating than running this weekend.

Woke up Saturday morning intending to race the Cleveland Race for the Cure. Note to self: Its almost impossible to register for this race on race day! I arrived amongst the masses with 40 minutes before the gun. There was no way to register AND warm-up, so I bailed on the race and just went for a run. I watched a friend Dee win the women's race for the second time, then we went for a cool-down. Seeing cancer survivors and/or their supporters was indeed a very inspirational scene.

Congrats to all the runners, including Papa Louie, who ran the Columbus Marathon on Sunday. Columbus was my first Ohio marathon back in 2003 and this year was the third year I've watched on bike. At the start it was clear, sunny 35F with little to no wind--in other words, perfect marathon weather. It warmed to 50F by the 3.5 hour mark of the race. I followed along watching a group of locals who were targeting 3:00-3:25. My spectating system is getting better and this year I got to see much more of the front-runners. After watching the start, I was able to get to miles 3, 6, 9, 14, 20.5, and 25 to view my peeps. What fun!

My (old) training bud Tara scored a huge 12-minute PR and ran 3rd woman overall in 2:53!! Just insane. I say "old" training bud since I can no longer keep up with her.

I didn't get many photos of the race, but here's a clip of the start. After a perfect rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by the Army Band and a C-130 flyby, the race was underway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Papa Louie said...

Lloyd, nice to meet you out on the course yesterday. Thanks for your words of encouragement. It's always nice to get encouragement from others while racing. I'm sure you know that too.

10:30 AM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Wow, you have got the spectating at Columbus down.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home