Thursday, November 02, 2006

Looking ahead...

...but not too far ahead.

The year's end is near and a fresh 2007 calendar awaits. I'm easily distracted by what and where I want to be in April, May, and June of next year. Oh, my imagination...

Not so fast. One lonely race remains over there in the sidebar:

JFK 50 Mile

Why be in such a hurry for 2007 when there's still two months to go? After all, its still three weeks before Thanksgiving. Hmm.



(Mile 21: Bill and I on the campus of BC at the top of Heartbreak Hill)

Yes, 2006 has surpassed my dreams. Boston. Need I say more? And twice this year I set out to, and ran further than before. Time really does fly when doing this thing I love to do. It seems like only yesterday hanging with my bro at the top of Heartbreak Hill at the little race they have in Boston. Every running goal I set for this year I've gone out and hit the mark. Yet there's still one more challenge to go.



(Photo: Mile 2 of the 2005 JFK 50 Mile. Photo by Ultrarunning Magazine.)

Two-and-a-half weeks to go before JFK. At the time, last year's JFK was my longest race to date. There's a race report from last year somewhere and I'll have to dig it out for review. Its amazing to look back at the last 365 days. I've been blessed to have the chance to run in some very cool places. Yet this ultra-running thing is turning into some slippery slope. My imagination runs wild at the prospect whats next.

So instead of looking too far down the road, I'm going to cherish the next 2 weeks. I have a goal, but for sure I'd like to beat my time from last year. Now in its 44th year, JFK has a history like no other ultramarathon. Here's a reason to brush up on my Civil War history as the course follows some spectacularly famous battlegrounds.

Now that running in circles is not on my mind, I hope to check out my notes from last year and do a JFK preview. There's certainly lots to say. From the 1100 runners, to the varied terrain course, and the 300 trekkers, the JFK 50 Mile presents tactical challenges like no other.

First things first. Its time to hit the trails (that I've oh so neglected.) I hear its been muddy out there. I hope so. I've a couple trail runs planned for the weekend to get my trail legs back.

Two weeks. I can do this.

Giddyup.

5 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

aack that photo has officially made me nervous! A lot of people about to converge on some single track!

8:24 AM  
Blogger JenC said...

Have fun Lloyd and good luck beating your previous JFK time!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

I think it's good to have dreams and to aim high for them. Get that JFK time you're dreaming of!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

GO ROOTS! Can't wait to hear about it. I am very excited for you!

Hey, I am teaching about the Civil War right now! The stars are aligned...:)

5:22 PM  
Blogger qcmier said...

Wow can't wait to hear all about the race...over a GLBC pint.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home