Thursday, September 28, 2006

Running in circles, Part 3

Today's track workout:
7mi total (52:14)
2mi warm-up
3mi straight @ LT pace (1600 splits: 6:37/6:30/6:28)
2mi cool-down

Planned: 5x1mi @ LT pace
Actual: 1x3mi @ LT pace

What a difference a track partner makes. Mine had a scheduling conflict this week, so I had to go it alone. I find it hard to hold my concentration when trying paced runs on my own. My mind wanders without a fellow runner to pace off of. Short on time, I turned the plans for a longer cruise interval session into one standard 3mi tempo run.

I couldn't have been happier to be out there in the rain and wind this morning. This week has been stressful at work. I've been offered a new position at my company and they're packaging it as a "lateral move," even though its not. I've been playing the cat-and-mouse negotiation game and I'm not much into gambling my job. I strung it out as long as possible and the dialogue has weighed heavily on my mind for the past couple days. I even took a couple days off from running this week to spend more time at work. So...it felt good to get outside today to run and forget about work, even if it was only for one short hour. As I ran in circles, my mind wandered ahead to October 21 when I'll really be running in circles.

First things first. This weekend is the awesome Akron Road Runner Marathon. Only in its fourth year, Akron has become a gem of a marathon and an event that their city should be very proud of. Akron was one of four finalists (behind NYC, Boston, and Minneapolis) vying for the 2008 Olympic Marathon Trials. The trials were finally awarded to NYC and Boston, but I can imagine someday having the country's best marathoners toe the line here in NE Ohio. For me, this year is Akron #3 and it will become my first marathon three-peat.

The weather looks great for marathoning: mid-40s at the start and maybe some light rain. If you're out there this weekend, look me up. For the third year, I'm the marathon pacer for a 3:40 finish time. (If its not too windy, I'll try to hold the "3:40" sign throughout the race.)

And the job. While I didn't get everything I asked for, the good news is I've accepted a new position and I'm going back to 8-5. Yahoo! I've been on west coast hours for almost two years and have not left the office before 8pm for quite some time. I feel like I'll have to reinvent myself. I look forward to it. Compensation aside, I look forward to the team and project where I'm headed. Lateral or not, its a move in a direction more suited for me.

The season for Thursday night trail runs is coming to an end, but I especially look forward to getting back to the Tuesday night group workouts at the Rocky River track. Yes, you guessed it. I've missed running in circles...with you all.

4 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

my work review is today, I hope I don't habe to play cat and mouse!

I can't wait to get back on the track, too bad there's only a few more weeks of that left too before its hill nights!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Didn't you just run an ultra last weekend????
Good luck at Akron, I might see you out on the course. I'm the 4th leg of a relay team.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Papa Louie said...

Have a great three-peat marathon tomorrow. I'll be looking for you. And cheering for you at the finish line.

1:57 PM  
Blogger H said...

*mouth drops* Okay, so you won't only be running an obscene amount of miles, but you'll be doing it on a 1-mile loop?

I'd say it sounds like a recipe for insanity, but that would imply you weren't there yet.

Lots of luck to you! :)

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home