Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tempo Tuesday

Work, play, blogging, reading...there isn't enough hours in the day. ACK! Where is all my time? I'm still getting used to the tempo of blogging. Today I have just enough time for a run report and a race preview.

- Today's run: 7miles, with 3mi at Tempo-pace. (4x1200; with 1min rests)

1200 splits: 4:59/4:50/4:41/4:32

I didn't plan on speeding up with each rep, that just how I felt. I'm surprised on how easily the legs were turning over. I guess it bodes well for this weekend. Still, I want to be cautious with the recovery each week. I'm a bit more tired than I was two weeks ago and prior to Punxy. I'm trying to remember that every week is not a "goal" race and that my next one is not until late October.

- This Saturday is the 2nd edition of the Youngstown Ultra Trail - Classic 50 km race. The RD, Bob Combs of Warren, is a multiple finisher of the Massanutten Trails 100 and finisher of this years's Hardrock 100. Hardrock is arguably the world's most difficult 100 mile race and Massanutten is billed as the toughest 100 east of the Rockies. Way to go, Bob.

Bob and his crew have a nice event planned and no doubt the course will be challenging. Anyone whose ever run the Mill Creek Classic (Youngstown Half Marathon) in March knows about the hills. And hills. And more hills. Never big, but these hills just keep coming at'cha. Interesting fact: Mill Creek Park is the nation's second largest urban park behind NYC's Central Park. (Map here)

I'm looking forward to it. In my first try at YUT-C (which sounds ridiculously like Yahtzee!), I'm expecting pretty trails with hills and rocks and waterfalls. Its going to be a small race with about 60 runners registered.

~~

- As an aside, I'm still getting used to the pace of Blogging. Its tough to keep up sometimes. To put it "out there" in words is not always easy. For example, I still haven't written an Erie Marathon report. Where's the time? There's so much I want to say and so little time. It's my hope that blogging will make me a better (and speedier) writer.

I've also spent significant time reading the writing and blogging of other local athletes. Many of you are so very generous with your time by sharing your experiences through your writing. Since I do lean on the stories of others, I do feel like its my small duty to share my experiences with others as well. I dunno. We'll just see how my tempo goes. I can make time for the things that are truly important. Yet life should always take priority over blogging.

~~

Reference:
(The majority of the world's 100 mile trail races are in North America. Check them out at Run 100s -Stan Jensen's website.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Papa Louie said...

Hope you have good weather and a great run this Saturday.
You are right about time needed to blog. It does take time to put the thoughts down in words. Good exercise though. Anyway, I usually have drafts in progress. Rarely do I type and publish. Only writing comments can I get away with that.
Have fun!

11:52 AM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I'm debating Youngstown this weekend. I figure if the ITB acts up I can always bail after the first or second loops. So maybe I will see you out there!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lloyd said...

E- come on out! I know you'll get at least your money's worth in swag. The trails are less runnable than Manistee or Buckeye Trails, but beautifiul nonetheless. You won't be disappointed.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home