Monday, October 20, 2008

Local 5k report

Saturday morning Andrea and I headed to my old neighborhood for the Green Lakewood 5k, a first year race offered by ClevelandPlaysRacing.com and HMA promotions. Nature's Bin provided the goodies. The proceeds go to enhance public recycling programs in Lakewood.

One week out from goal marathon, the race was a last hard workout before final tapering.

The conditions couldn't have been any better:

- A completely flat and familiar course in my neighborhood. I've raced it before.
- Clear and sunny 44F at 8:00 AM.
- Arrived early enough for thorough warm-up and strides.
- I'm in week 15 of a 16 week marathon training cycle and my fitness is peaking now.
- Cash prizes drew a stronger field than normal for a new race. I have not seen official results yet, but I estimate 80-90 finishers, 100 tops. Despite the small field, I had a local training friend to pace off and chase.

After a 3.5 mile warm-up, 5x 100m strides, and 1x 2min at goal race pace, I was 10 minutes before gun. Stretch, sip water, and get to line in time. Tara G., a strong local runner who I no longer keep up with, has PRs in the range of 17:40 and 2:53 for 5k and marathon. I haven't run close to her in a race in a few years. On this day and based on recent workouts I aimed for 5:50 pace, which would better my 18:30 PR, and hoping to finish 18:10-18:15.

The course is a flat route on a familiar course from Lakewood Park. I've run dozens of times along these streets and felt like on home turf.

The race starts and I find myself in 8-10th place through the first 800m and find myself in 7th at the mile. I kept 15-20 yd contact with T, kept it relaxed, and avoided looking at my watch until I hear the timer calling time: 5:31, 5:32, 5:34...

Mile one at 5:40 and was just holding what I got. After 1.6 miles, the course is a full 1.2 mile straightaway stretch. I caught Tara at mile two in 5:41 and asked her to pull me. Survived the straightaway and turn into park. With 500m to go the leg turnover was still there. Tara was right behind and I could hear her breathing. Approaching mile 3 and still turning over! Sub-18 was now in my view and focused on that. Breathing was maxed, but I had some in reserve. Didn't look at my watch at the 3 mile mark and just ran. Clock comes into view: 17:33, 34, 35...

Short version: Scored a huge PR by 45 seconds. Splits: 5:40/5:41/5:47/0:36 =

17:44. (6th OA)

Tara said that if there were 200 more meters she would have caught me (she wins women's race easily.)

I can't believe this result. I've run a 5k like this, one week out from marathon, in each of past 4 training cycles. I feel the course was legit. I am planning on peaking next week and this result provides a huge boost in confidence for my goals.

The conditions for racing were ideal on this day. Running is so much fun when the pieces fall into place. Both Andrea and I win AG awards and to share that makes it much sweeter.

Thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Great job Lloyd! That's awesome!

2:26 PM  
Blogger Blaine Moore said...

Nice work, Lloyd! You'll be in good shape for next week.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Mindi said...

Weird - not sure why my post didn't work.... I'll try again... :)

AWESOME job! It looks like your new life style is treating you very very well!

Have a great race next weekend and say hi to Andrea for me!

7:34 PM  
Blogger The Salty One said...

Wow Lloyd! That is one great 5k pr!!! Congrats and good luck tomorrow!

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home