Thursday, June 05, 2008

Where I'm at

I'm not sure if I'll get all the thoughts out in the this one post, but here's a few on where I'm at right now:

Running: I've decided to skip the Laurel Highlands Ultra. All year I've pointed to this race and I wanted to return to Ohiopyle to improve upon my initial Laurel race in 2006. I have the miles under me, but at this point my heart is not into it. Surely, I could finish and likely do okay. But I am looking ahead and the recovery needed from Laurel might set me back for what's to come next.

What a distinct contrast to where I was last year. This time last year I was entering taper phase for the Mohican Trail 100. I was focused and hungry for the challenge. Same with two years ago when facing the Laurel Ultra. Not so this year. I am just not at a same place.

When I started this blog, I had a by-line that read, "dreaming of running farther than ever before." As I progressed up with the the ultra distances -- from 50k, to 50 miles, to 70 miles, then 100 miles -- I took a delibrate approach, allowing two whole years before taking the 100 mile plunge. Each new and longer distance fueled my desire.

I just have not had the same hunger as I did last year. I recognize this. As a runner and coach, I understand that it is okay to change or readjust the goals. And I have. So far, my 2008 has been a good one, with three ultras and three marathons under the belt. I cannot complain this year with a 5k PR and a #2 all-time marathon best performance in Boston.

I have decided, however, on the next ultramarathon goal: Massanutten. It's 49 weeks away and a certain challenge. I have something now to fuel my desire once again. For sure, I'll need more visits to the the mountains in the year to come. I won't know until December, but I hope to gain entry into the race.

Looking ahead to the rest of the year, I am going to focus on the Marine Corps Marathon as the goal race. In the interim, I look forward to a fun summer getaway weekend and tackling the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in North Carolina. With plenty of time before MCM, I look forward to rebuilding my base and starting a new training cycle. With a late October date for MCM, I have plenty of time to build up a big base. It will be August before adding quality to my running program.

Training: In case you had not heard, I started a coaching business this year it is starting to grow. I decided to try making my passion and profession intersect and give the running business a shot.

Part of my days are now training with, advising, and coaching distance runners. I am enjoying the time listening to runners and helping construct a plan for runners to achieve their goals. I'm also working with a local gym to start a runner's program at their location. There is a limited number of clients I can take on in one season, but I don't think I have reached that level yet. There is room for more. I have a bare-bones website established for more information. If you or anyone you know is interested in a running coach, email to me.

I wrote an article titled, "The best five minutes." If you're so inclined, let me know what you think. I have a few more articles in the works and I'm continuing to further developing my written lesson plans. I am indeed excited about this upcoming season.

Races: I am looking forward to our summer trail races. I intend to be more involved with the local trail races in the Western Reserve Trail Running series by helping more with the summer Buckeye Trail 50k and the Burning River 100. I'm heading up the Station Road Bridge aid station again for the Burning River on August 2. Similar to last year, we'll have a group run that preceed volunteer shifts. If you are in the area and wish to help for a couple hours, let me know.

In the big picture, these are good times. I am healthy and have a training goals on the calendar. The prospect of helping others with a running program, pursuing my own personal bests, and now seeing Massanutten come into view, are all reasons for a rekindled desire.

Mohican: Some people have asked me about my race last year. I still haven't written a report, but I ought to start some momentum towards doing so. I'm going to dig up my spreadsheet tool that I used to help plan for my Mohican race and make a post soon. There's two weeks to go. Go Mohican runners!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mindi said...

Great to hear it. It is interesting how goals change and evolve. It makes us who we are and it makes us better. If we stuck with one goal for life, we would either fail or hit a dead end - it is good to embrace what is before us.

I am looking forward to seeing what comes of your new goals.

And your coaching sounds great - I am likely to hit you up soon for some working woman's advice on conquering the marathon!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home