Friday, August 18, 2006

Changing weekend plans & Sam Thompson

My weekend plans have changed. I was all set to visit my college roommate in Detroit for a Tigers game at Comerica Park, but the plan fell through. Now I'm staying home for the weekend. What to do?

Well, why not race? I'm thinking of one of the following: Saturday Monastra 5k in Hudson, or on Sunday either the Perfect 10 miler in Lyndhurst or the Fat Rabbit Racing Triathlon in Columbus.

The music scene is just as promising: Carlos Jones plays tonight at the Barking Spider and also Sunday at the Mind, Body and Soul Expo.

I'm not too terribly disappointed about missing a weekend getaway. I do have some catching up to do around the house as well as at work. I'll be ecstatic if I can manage a few extra hours of each over the weekend.



I wish to make special recognition to Sam Thompson. On Saturday in Mississippi, he completes his 50th marathon in 50 days in 50 different states. His fundraising efforts go towards rebuilding destroyed homes from Hurricane Katrina. Click here for recent article.

After reading about Sam, I'm inclined to run the Monastra 5k. The race benefits research for Pancreatic Cancer. In no way can I compare this little 5k to what Sam's accomplished, but I'd like to pitch in some small way this weekend.

Now, it's off to enjoy the weekend. Mr. Thompson, I raise my pint glass to you. Cheers!

1 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

I love races that give back to a charity. The one thing I feel is missing this year in my training is teh fundraising, don't get me wrong, I know I don't have the time right now and it would be stressfulm but I do feel a bit selfish just doing these things for my own goals, and not to benefit others.

Hope the 5k went well. I might be out at the perfect 10 miler, just getting in a run, no racing. Holler if you see me ;)

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home